1. She poses the question “If Ball State received this title [university committed to diversity], there shouldn’t be any issues with [someone] finding a place to fit in and not have to deal with a social hierarchy right?” The paper identifies tension between diversity and fitting in. Yes.
2. Her ideas are all well written out and explain how she thought of Out of Bound before and after her research. Her perceptions were accurate and informative. I could easily understand the atmosphere of the area. The point of view was very negative of the fieldsite in the beginning, but by the end, even though the area was still a little put-offish, she found something valuable in Out of Bounds. My words: All different sorts of stereotypes eat and socialize at Out of Bounds, but this place can put everyone on a level playing field, allowing everyone to be themselves. Observations and thoughts are even. It is important because different social stereotypes are level in the social hierarchy when they are at Out of Bounds.
3. The ideas are pretty broad in some areas, especially the beginning when she speaks about diversity. She talks about how diversity is related to “different cultures, ethnicities, races, social statuses and social groups” when she really just talks about social groups. Other than that, no problems.
4. She talks about how Out of Bounds brings people of different stereotypes to the same playing field which is a good broad explanation of what is going on in the area.
5. I didn’t really notice any specific artifact, unless it was something to do with the billiard table.
6. The emphasis on Interview 1 was that, even though people may not like being in a place like Out of Bounds, it allows them to be themselves. Molly was a member of a sorority but didn’t feel any tensions of fitting into a stereotype when in Out of Bounds.
7. Out of Bounds can also be a quiet place to think or study when the need arises. For Kasi, the billiard table brings back memories of her grandfather and the lessons he taught her.
8. No. One is used in the beginning to introduce the idea of diversity, but really doesn’t have much to do with the conclusion. The second is about ethnic diversity which has almost nothing to do with the main idea of her paper. The third talks about the “power of pool” and how it can build relationships which is relatable to her main idea.
9. Yes.
10. She talks about how her experiences are relatable to her research and how people keep searching for social acceptance. Overall I guess it sums it up pretty well.
11. Yes. Out of Bounds lets people be themselves while allowing different social groups to be on the same level of the social hierarchy. No.
12. Yep.
13. They seem about right.
14. For the most part.
15. I recall seeing the word “learnt” which I’m not so sure is a real word, but Microsoft is telling me otherwise right now. I would probably change it to “learned” for proper grammar purposes.
16. Not enough repetition to make the paper dull.
17. It’s fine. No problems.
18. It’s very informal, just like Out of Bounds, so it’s good.
I began to think a little more about the social situations that Out of Bounds puts people into.
She discovered that Out of Bounds pretty much puts everyone in a comfortable area of being themselves.
She used to believe that Out of Bounds was only used for convenience but learned that it has social implications.
I understand that college is broken into many different social groups.
I would call it casual, with a tinge of formality because of the restrictions of school papers.
Giving in to what? I don’t understand.
I wish I didn’t have to do this forever long peer review where I’m asked questions that I don’t have answers for.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment